.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Bloggings of my past homelessness, blogging about nothing or maybe something... Learn about the ways an exhomless guy had to survive, from squatting, panhandling, odd jobs, trading, bartering, etc. Personal stories how a homeless man becamed homed, married with new family (baby and wife).

3.17.2004

Panhandling Experiment & Research Idea 

I am thinking of ways to research what type of panhandling (photo of a panhandler) is best, fo example, if you are clean shaven and look clean will you get more money than if you are dirty and wearing ripped up clothes? Can I make as much online (virtual panhandle) as if I was too panhandle on the street? Could you make more panning in a small town or a large city? What type of people mock you the most, business men or others? Do I make more with a cardboard sign that looks like a 3 year old made it or would I make better money with a proper graphical (designed my graphic designer) on nice clean white plastic? Would I make more money hiding my face or looking sad? Would I make more money being calm or would I make more being crazy? Would I make more money pretending to be asleep or looking concious? Would I make more money looking sober or acting drunk with empties around? Would I get more money looking heterosexual or acting gay? Who would get more, me (31 yr old guy) or a 31 year old woman? Would I get more money begging if I was to dress like a woman (obviously I am not, too many masculine features)? WOuld I make more money with a pet or without? Would I make more money sitting in a wheelchair or sitting on the side walk? Would I make better money asking people for change as they pass by, or should I just sit there and be quiet?

I have panhandled many times in the past (when I was homeless) to help give me a good start on my research. I plan to go out on the streets and test my theories and document my findings online in my journals (comments). I am not homeless, but to find out the truths, I would have to pose as a homeless person (much practise in the past) for most of my panhandling experiments.

Should I give the money back that I "fake" panhandle? I need the money, so I will keep it, but tell them it was a fak for a news article on http://www.SpareSomeChange.com

Please post (add comment to this) your research and ideas to help this weird experiment out... If you are a panhandler, you must post something here, no choice!
Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Just some fun things that may kill some boredom! You can change the caption (funny) on these Flash files to make your own comedy bits. Great time wasters, you can even send them to friends (like a greeting card) or print the homemade signs on your computer!